Backcountry Skiing Day Tour Packing List
October 17, 2013
The always up to date guide to what’s in my pack! Geared for a day trip into the backcountry to shred some pow!
Last Updated: 9/09/2015
This is a full gear list including both packed and worn items.
- Skis – Line Sir Francis Bacon with Marker Barron bindings
- Boots – Scarpa Mobe
- Ski Poles – K2 Carbon/Carbon Lockjaw Probe
- Climbing Skins – Black Diamond Ascension Nylon STS
- Backpack – Millet Matrix 30 MBS
- Water Bladder – 70 oz. Insulated Camelbak
- Avalanche Probe – BCA Profile 240
- Avalanche Shovel – G3 SpadeTECH
- Headlamp – Black Diamond Icon
- In the winter I use a bit beefier headlamp. Due to the decreased amount of daylight the odds of me hiking in the dark pretty significant so I like a brighter light with a longer battery life.
- Emergency Beacon – Delorme InReach
- GPS – Garmon 62s
- Avalanche Beacon – BCA Tracker2
- 2 Way Radio – Motorola Talkabout MS350R
- Ice Axe – CAMP Corsa Nanotech ice axe
- Watch – Suunto Core
- Helmet – Giro Nine.10
- Goggles – Smith I/O with Blue Sensor Mirror lens
- Regardless of lighting conditions I always use a lens geared toward flat light. Rarely am I skiing down an open field in bright sunshine. If that is the case I’ll wear my sunglasses.
- Sun Glasses – Julbo Tensing
- Puffy Jacket – The North Face Supernatural
- Rain Jacket – Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket
- Puffy Pants – Arc’teryx Atom LT
- Light Gloves – Outdoor Research StormTracker
- Medium Gloves – Marmot Spring Glove
- Soft Shell Pants – Outdoor Research Valhalla pants
- Soft Shell Jacket – Outdoor Research Salvo
- I hike in this.
- Boxers – ExOfficio Give-N-Go Sport Boxer Brief
- Socks – Darn Tough Ultralight Ski socks
- Shirt – Outdoor Research Echo 1/4 zip
- Baseball Cap – Any Trucker Hat will do.
- Food – 2-3 Snickers bars, 2-3 Cliff Builders bars, 1 banana, 1 pb&j sandwich, 1 pack gummy bears, 2-3 packs Jelly Belly caffeinated extreme sport beans and a banana packed into my banana saver.
- Emergency Survival Gear – Emergency + medical gear packing list
Alternate Items – These are items I swap in or out when the weather changes.
- Storm Weight Gloves – Black Diamond Guide glove
- Storm Shell Pants & Jacket – Outdoor Research Axcess and Outdoor Research Mentor jacket
- Crampons – Black Diamond Nerve
- Crampons are good to have if you are planning on getting extreme.
- Crevasse Rescue Kit – Crevasse rescue packing list
- Added into my pack whenever I’m venturing into glacier covered terrain.