Winter Day Hike Packing List
October 17, 2013
The always up to date guide to what’s in my pack! Geared for a winter day hike.
Last Updated: 9/09/2015
This is a full gear list including both packed and worn items.
- Trekking Poles – K2 Carbon/Carbon Lockjaw Probe
- Backpack – Black Diamond Bolt
- Hammock – Hummingbird Single Person Hammock + Tree Straps
- Nothing makes people jealous like busting out a hammock at the edge of a lake and kicking up your feet.
- Water Bladder – 70 oz. Insulated Camelbak
- Avalanche Probe – BCA Profile 240
- Avalanche Shovel – G3 SpadeTECH
- Bic Lighter
- Headlamp – Black Diamond Icon
- In the winter I use a bit beefier headlamp. Due to the decreased amount of daylight the odds of me hiking in the dark are pretty significant so I like a brighter light with a longer battery life.
- Emergency Beacon – Delorme InReach
- GPS – Garmin 62s
- Avalanche Beacon – BCA Tracker2
- Ice Axe – CAMP Corsa Nanotech ice axe
- Gaiters – REI Mountain Gaiters
- Snow getting down your boot can ruin your day.
- Watch – Suunto Core
- Sun Glasses – Julbo Tensing
- Puffy Jacket – The North Face Supernatural
- Puffy Pants – Arc’teryx Atom LT
- Rain Jacket – Outdoor Research Helium II
- Rain Pants – CAMP B-Dry Evo
- Soft Shell Jacket – Outdoor Research Salvo
- I wear this hiking.
- Soft Shell Pants – Outdoor Research Salvo
- Hiking Boots – Anything GORE-TEX that fits well
- Snow Traction – Kahtoola MICROspikes
- I once got talked into leaving these at home during a early October trip to The Enchantments – huge mistake. Now I always bring them.
- Medium Gloves – Marmot Spring Glove
- Boxers – ExOfficio Give-N-Go Sport Boxer Brief
- Socks – Darn Tough Ultralight hiking socks
- Shirt – Outdoor Research Echo 1/4 zip
- Baseball Cap – Any Trucker Hat will do.
- Food – Lunch, trail snacks and a banana packed into my banana saver.
- Emergency Survival Gear – Emergency + medical gear packing list
Alternate Items – These are items I swap in or out when the weather changes.
- Snow Shoes – MSR Evo Ascent
- Swap for snow traction when the snow gets deep.
- Crampons – Black Diamond Nerve
- Swap Microspikes for these when glacier’s are on the route or if you feel you need extra traction.
- Crevasse Rescue Kit – Crevasse rescue packing list
- Added into my pack whenever I’m venturing into glacier covered terrain.